Friday, May 20, 2005

Surprising lack of prejudice...

As I was cruising home on the train from another day at work, I was shocked to hear the following words from a fellow passenger: "Did you see that? She zipped up and grabbed her bag as though she thought you were going to do something. (insert something else here that I missed) I can't believe people are so rude!" Upon hearing that, although it took a bit for it to register, because I wasn't listening, so it was probably about 10 seconds later that I realised she was talking about me!! Here's what had happened.

I had jumped on a train that was absolutely packed - standing room only. I ended up standing in the middle of one of the sections of chairs, holding onto the handle on the back of one of them - know what I mean? When people got up to get off at one of the main stops I was able to sit in a set on the end, and then when the two people next to me got off I was able to scoot over to the window. Just before we got to the next stop I realised that it was late and the folks didn't know if I was working late, or what was happening, so I unzipped my bag, whipped out my phone and sent a quick SMS to let them know I was on my way home and would see them in a bit. Now the girl and a guy who I can only assume as her boyfriend, got on the train at the next stop just as I was finishing writing and sending my message. They sat down, I finished with my phone, and as I was putting it in my bag realised that I didn't know who was sitting next to me, so glanced at the guy as I was putting my phone back in my bag and zipping it up. Post-comment I realised that this action had been construed as me looking at the guy, noticing that he was of aboriginal descent, and that I was obviously fearful that all my belongings were going to be wrenched from my arms as he and his girlfriend dashed off the train at the next stop.

My only thought in reply to the girl's comment: "I have always thought it to be rude for someone to sit next to me on the train, and after they get off I am unable to even remember what colour hair they had. Shame on me if I didn't happen to glance at them. People go unnoticed every day."

And I then realised that actions can be perceived in any way that the perceiver deems to be true - but the accuracy can only be determined by hearing the other person's thoughts, understanding their intent.

Suz's moral for the day: Be mindful that in word or deed it is easy to cause offence to a brother.

No comments: