Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Employment plus!

Today was my first day at my new job! Talk about information overload, but that kind of goes with the territory. Hence, I am now sitting here at 7:59pm typing this, and realising that I have about 2 mins to write a short excerpt of my day before I disappear off to bed so that my light is turned out promptly at 8.30pm. I only had 4 1/2 hours sleep last night, and *desperately* needed a nap at lunch today. Dozed in the Flagstaff Gardens for about 20 mins (yes, I set my alarm on my mobile, just in case!) to the lovely surrounds of birds, the wind in the trees, the dull roar of traffic, crunchy leaves underfoot and a herd of male playing football. Lovely! The people I am working with/for are lovely, and that always makes the work easier, so I'm looking forward to getting my feet under me and settling into a routine.

I have to say that the thing I hate the most about learning a new job is trying to negotiate the new telephone system. Now, I wouldn't say I'm technologically challenged - I mean, I'm quite capable of hooking up pretty much any kind of device with all the right wires and get it to make the right sounds and put out the right pictures, but when it comes to having someone on the other end of the horn and trying to put them through to the right person, transferring and retrieving can get a bit cyclonic... But I only lost one call today! And to tell the truth, I think she may have hung up? Take messages I can do... Give me a message pad and I'll say everyone's out of the office, but transferring? Let's make a few dummy calls first and get the hang of the new-fangled gadget... But if it weren't for telephones I wouldn't be able to speak to my buddies who I can't see face-to-face - oh, there are so many!! Hello to everybody, wherever you are... Seymour (country Vic), Sydney (Bella Vista, not Baulkham Hills!), Tokyo (Japan), Geneva (Switzerland) and my buddy soon to be in Laos! - I pray you are all safe, well, and that I see you soon!

No comments: