Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My little "religious" altercation

Today I did the Vatican tour - the most expensive tour I've done yet (30E - that's about $50-55). But to tell the truth, it really was worth it. It included the Sistine Chapel, St Paul's Basilica and the Vatican Museum. We had little headsets so it meant I could stroll 'round and not really be with the group which was great. It was tour group city!! Absolutely insane - mainly because the Pope had spoken that morning (he speaks every Wed at about 11am I think?), and then the crowds all massed to the Vatican. Waited in the queue in the sun for about 50 mins. Not bad, considering you can wait up to 2 hours... Imagine that... Very impressed with the interior, etc. I'm not into paintings, etc, but frescoes I *can* appreciate!! Oh, and I nearly had a punch-on with a tour guide in the Sistine Chapel. :D HILARIOUS!!!

Here're the facts:
*Sistine Chapel - silence is to be maintained
*Sistine Chapel - tours are not to be conducted within in any kind of manner
*my guide had switched off our headsets because she wasn't conducting a tour

And now here's the story: me - standing still; tour guide - talking at a normal volume into her little microphone, walking in the opposite direction to which I am facing; old italian momma (OIM) - walking in the same direction as the tour guide, but on my right hand side. OIM reaches across me and grabs the guide on the arm, very agitated and rattles off something to the tour guide - essentially telling her to be quiet because she's in the Sistine Chapel. tour guide, continuing to conduct her tour, looks at the OIM but is not really listening to her. guide stops talking, I poke her on the arm and say: "silenzio!" (i.e. be quiet), as both the OIM and I are frowning at her. guide looks at the OIM, then at me, then starts getting aggro at me!! :D she pokes me on the arm, and then the dialogue is as follows:
TG: Don't you touch me!
S: Be quiet, you're in the Sistine Chapel!
TG: What, you want me to punch you? Huh?
S: you're in a church...?
TG: blah blah blah

...and off she stormed. :D I thought it was HILARIOUS since she obviously thought she was intimidating... I was fully thinking "surely you don't think that I'm scared of you? I just think you're an idiot for conducting a tour in the Sistine Chapel and then challenging someone who tells you to be quiet?" Saw her a few times outside the chapel and was so tempted to go up to her and say: "how about now? now works for me..." :D But I decided not to, since we were still in the Vatican city... :D Anyway... many people (including a couple of the busabout guides) have found the story extremely amusing - especially since a couple of the girls were there (oh, I met up with a couple of girls on the tour who I'd been travelling with from Berlin -> Vienna). One of the guides kind of collects anecdotes from some of the travellers so she's gonna use that one. :D

and then I played some more pool... I'm detecting a definite theme here...

No comments: