Friday, June 16, 2006

Heading south...

Today I drove down the Amalfi Coast and went to Pompeii!!!! Very exciting...

Anyway, packed bus (about 50-odd) and managed to hit it off with a chick in the check-out queue. :D Lauren's from Geelong and been living in London for a year. She's travelling for about another 2 weeks, then a week in Noosa then going home. :D Drive down the coast was beautiful. But before all that, we had a guided tour at Pompeii. Very very very hot... Took some good photos, but we noticed there were a lot of things we didn't get to see. Disappointingly, there are quite a few areas of the ruins that are still being excavated, and even more that are undergoing restoration. So, pretty much all the famous pictures of Pompeii we didn't get to see. Oh well. Was still pretty good. After Pompeii we cruised on down to Sorrento. Right on the coast, gorgeous scenery, and where we ended up staying for 2 nights. We went in to town that night for dinner (which was GREAT!) and the waiter STUFFED me with tiramisu. It was DIVINE!! Seriously, the best tiramisu I've ever had in my life... wow. :D I ate all of mine, finished off Lauren's, then Sandra's, and Danny doesn't eat tiramisu, so I ate his, and I was done (I realise you don't know any of these people, but it doesn't matter!). The head waiter came out and was so impressed by me saying that his tiramisu was "perfetto" that he brought out another piece and told me he'd give me some limoncello (a local lemon alcoholic aperative) if I finished it all. I'd already had a bit of a slurp of some limoncello. Ooh! Powerful stuff. Not a fan - too much "cello" and not enough "limon". :D So of course, I wasn't fussed, but he was obviously going to be VERY offended if i didn't finished the tiramisu. Well, finish it I did, and he was very happy. :D told me to come back if ever i wanted tiramisu again and he'd give me a plate (with his hands about a foot apart) of it. :D not surprisingly, i smiled, said "grazie" and rolled out. :D everyone thought it was hilarious and was very impressed. :D

I do, however, have one grip. Here I am. For two days. In a TENT. There was nothing remotely resembling the word "TENT" when I booked accommodation. Somehow they construed "TENT" to mean "private room". :-

No comments: