Saturday, June 17, 2006

Isle of Capri

Today I got up at ridiculous o'clock (which, considering I'm on holidays, could be anything before 11am - today, specifically, I am talking about 7am) to get a bus, then a ferry out to the island of Capri. WOW. That place is GORGEOUS. Apparently the hideaway of the rich and famous, and I can understand why. I couldn't get over the colour of the water... it was seriously amazing!! I spent lots of time on various ferries as well, did a ferry tour (for about an hour or so) all the way 'round the island, including stopping off at a place where the famous blue grotto is. Very amusing. We're in this big ferry, and all these little row-boats are sitting in the bay and come and swarm 'round the ferry to take passengers into the grotto - four at a time. The guys are amusing how they can stand on the boat, get people in and out, and row, and never lose their balance! hilarious. :D A lot of people were impressed - but for something that lasted about 1 min I didn't think it was worth 8.50E. Anyway, after we get back to the mainland, jumped on a funicular (kind of like a bus/tram/train thing that goes up the side of the mountain - oh, kind of like a cable car on the ground, without the cable, but with rails) to go up to "capri town" - don't know what it was called down the bottom, but it was all the same to me. it was a bit posher up top, but not surprised, since the views were divine. took some more photos, checked out some gardens and enjoyed the views. Once again, ate gelati (yes, this is becoming a daily meal). :D After that we hit the beach!! The water was beautiful... seriously, it is a beautiful colour (difficult to describe), but sadly the beach isn't sand, it's rocks!! and small rocks at that. varying in size from a 5 cent piece to about the size of a large fist. VERY difficult to walk on. So much so that i walked down and back from the water once. as tempting and beautiful as the water was, it wasn't worth the pain of going back down again, so I lazed on the beach. Oh, and now I have a ridiculous tan that I haven't even been trying to get... Seriously, I think this could be the brownest I have ever been in my life! I've got a pretty serious set of raccoon (i.e. sunglasses!) eyes happening... :D Watch mark is pretty pronounced! Oh, and my feet as well. Have an upside-down Y happening from my sandals. :D very funny. Ah, after beaching, ferried back to Sorrento, hung out with a few of the girls, grabbed some dinner, got some of my photos burnt to CD (got two copies, so I'll post one set to you, and keep one set on me) and then headed back to the campsite. Watched the Italy vs USA match - very disappointing. Pretty scrappy game. Wasn't impressed. And that was the end of the day! :D

I *have* to come back here sometime... It is amazing! I'll attach some pics just so you can see how gorgeous the water is!

No comments: