Monday, June 19, 2006

European observations

Pringles. They are EVERYWHERE. Jalapeno, Smoked bacon, paprika - you name it, they flavour it. Seriously, I reckon every single traveller in Europe has bought at least one packet (small or large) at some point in their trip. I have no doubt made up for all those that don't!! It's so easy to pay 3E (about $5.20) for them, too, which of course is ridiculous. I refuse to pay more than 2E, which of course means I have to find them in a supermarket or tobaccinist somewhere. I think i paid 1.70E? Something like that. My diet has quickly become Pringles, Gelati and dinner. Sorry, mum! :D

Water fountains - gotta love them. Paying for water is ridiculous when you can get it falling out of a random wall! In venice I wasn't quite sure what they were and what was going on, but I have since been advised that they are fine, so man, if I can drink Roman water and have it for free, I'll be there. :D The water is always absolutely freezing as well, which is great, especially since the weather has been so hot.

There are beggars everywhere here as well. It's very sad and difficult to get used to, since we don't see that kind of thing at home. Sadly, they have become expert in making people feel guilty if they don't give them anything. What I'm particularly unimpressed about is when a mother has a small child with her and she makes the child beg by going up to people to ask for money. makes you wonder where they live and if they really do have enough money to feed their child - what kind of parent makes their child beg for money?? I'm talking about 3-4 year olds!! Very sad...

I've heard of a few instances of pick-pocketing. One of the buses that stops out the front of our hostel (in Rome) is notorious for it apparently. Funnily enough, you can actually spot the people who are pick-pocketers since they're not ashamed of it or try to hide it, but gee, they're good at what they do. They can unzip your bag, pull out your stuff, and zip your bag back up without you having any clue. Thankfully I haven't been hit, or seen anyone hit, but it happens. Also heard of a girl having stuff stolen out of her bag in the hostel.

No comments: