Monday, June 13, 2005

Update...

Since now it is Monday and I haven't blogged since...Thursday...I kind of figured that now would be a good time to update. Friday night I went to the dentist.

Let me begin by telling you that the last time I went to the dentist was in 1999, and that was only because I had broken one of my front teeth. The capping was due to about half of one of my front teeth being shattered when I was in...year 9?...by a kid who was running down the corridor and decided to quite messily collide my mouth with his elbow as I walked out of the classroom. Needless to say, I got carted off the dentist *immediately* and he got carted off to the Principal's office. :D Heheh... Pesky child. Anyway... Since the tooth had been exposed down to a point of extreme pain, the dentist had a bit of a time trying to make it look like all the tooth was mine and to make sure I could eat fairly normally. Then, in...year 11 - physics class (remember it quite vividly), I managed to get it stuck in a...redskin? Something like that. One of those awfully, stick lollies... Off to the dentist again...

Then, in 1999, on Christmas Eve, I completely broke it off again on a pizza crust (which, to this day, I am not a great fan of...), but do you think I could get into the dentist?! no!!! I had to wait until NEW YEAR'S EVE!!! A week!!! I was horrified. For a whole week I was missing half a tooth... You can imagine all of the 1999 family Christmas photos - here's me grimacing in ever shot trying my utmost not to reveal my teeth. Kind of looks like I was constipated. Or not smiling at all. :D

Anyway. So that was my last trip to the dentist. An 8am appointment on New Year's Eve in 1999, then I jumped in a car and immediately drove down to Apollo Bay to meet some friends... Lovely.

So then Friday I go to the dentist for my appointment... I had my initial consultation about 6 weeks ago, at which time my dentist cluck-clucked me not being a frequent attendee... To tell the truth, one of my teeth has been giving me the telltale signs of being slightly painful whenever I eat anything sweet, and I have consciously been avoiding having my wisdom teeth attended to. But there you have it. Fear controlling my life...

My dentist pored over me on Friday night, filled up two holes, shaved off my front tooth, built it up again, and then asked me to cough up a week's pay. Very sad. And to know that I'm going back in two weeks... It is a sad, sad thing.

What made it a little more dramatic was the fact that on Friday night I was going out to a gig - needless to say, after having three locals and having my jaw prised open for an hour and a half kind of rendered me a little...incapacitated? I had a glass of water at home before I went out, and was asked by my father if I would like to dry myself off after my bath before leaving the house? The cheek of it all! Ha! Get the pun? The cheek! *sigh* To explain my joke would take away from what little humour it contained... :D

I rock up at the gig, and have *much* difficulty trying to have the girl understand anything that I am saying. :D I was laughing at myself! I sounded like I'd had a few too many at the local and was trying to gatecrash something... And then she had the gall to ask me if I wanted something to eat or drink?! I laughed in her face. :D Then apologised, and told her it wouldn't be worth the effort - I would just end up with it all over me!! Needless to say, my friend that I was meeting there had no pity for me. She kept offering me glasses of water... :D

Thankfully, Saturday morning brought all normality back to my face, except for an aching jaw from being held open for so long.

So there you have it - what I think could possibly be my longest blog, and it's all about my trials of going to the dentist... *sigh*

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out next month - that should be fun! And imagine what fun I will have blogging my experiences!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you luck as you lose your wisdom in a few weeks ... Hopefully yours is a good wisdom-teeth-out experience, as mine was, rather than one full of grimaces and cringes.
- Miss Trish