Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Questioning the meaning of life...

Here's a question for all of you intelligent folk out there...

Why is Listerine marketed in a 250ml bottle, yet the instructions read as follows: '...Rinse and gargle 20ml undiluted...' Now, I have always been pretty good at maths, but I figure that even if I hadn't, I would've realised that there is no way that 20 will divide into 250 equally?!

I would appreciate if someone could explain how this could mathematically be possible? I should write to Pfizer... I wonder if they realise that they are causing many people in the world to become distressed. Y'know, I would hazard to say they are also responsible for global warming? And the hole in the ozone layer... And the ever-increasing urban heat island effect. And for the whales beaching themselves worldwide.

I wonder if I can get sued? :D

I wonder if I can get hired as part of their marketing personnel? :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they figure that people will either over-estimate or under-estimate as they pour the listerine from the bottle into the lid in a bleary-eyed just-woken-up or just-about-to-go-to-sleep manner, hence rendering your maths basic and incorrect ...
18 mls + 19.1 mls + 22 mls + 20.4 mls + 30.2 mls [whoops!] + 15.6 mls + 18 mls + 17.5 mls + ... etc. = 250 mls!
- Miss Trish

Smee said...

Well to tell the truth, this is basically the look that Nomes gave me when I told her that I bothered to measure my Listerine? I think she thought it was being a little too pedantic... But it's not like I measure out my shampoo and conditioner?!