Friday, September 01, 2006

Train guy

I, like most people who get the train into the city, have a bit of a routine I follow. I usually get the 8.03am train, from a particular station, and I always stand in the same place on the platform and get on the same carriage, same door each day. Funnily enough, so does the "train guy". I have a train guy that I get the train with each day - we travel on the train together, not speaking, not making eye contact, then walking down the street to our respective buildings - which, funnily enough, are opposite each other. The scary thing is that for quite a few months we were getting the train together morning *and* night... Same time, same carriage, same door. Day in, day out.

Now, I've got a bit of a reputation for talking to people I don't know, so on Wednesday I put my foot down. I vowed to some of the girls at work that I would speak to him the next time I saw him on the train. I figure we get the train together each day, he doesn't have someone to talk to (or something to read), and I'm not exactly shy, so I thought I would strike up a conversation. If he thinks it's too odd, then that's fine - I'll just say hi every now and again and leave it at that.

Yesterday the opportunity presented itself. As I righted myself and donned my coat and scarf (since I usually run to the station with them in my arms so I don't miss the train) I realised I was actually quite nervous about talking to him. Realising how ridiculous this was and, of course, perplexed at my response to the situation, I began analysing my feelings and questioning myself as to why I was so nervous and gathering up my courage.

In the minute that it took me to run all this through my head, the train arrived and we ended up standing in different spots.

*sigh*

Today was a new day, so I decided to give it another go and to jump at the chance.

He wasn't on the train.

I guess there's always Monday. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So...?
- miss trish