Saturday, July 08, 2006

My 12-hour layover

My my, was I in for a surprise when I got on my flight in Paris!

Firstly, my little experience at the airport was quite invigorating. A French lady tried to use her children as an excuse to avoid the long queue for check-in... I was *infuriated*!! I refused to let her in.. The French family in front of me sided with me and told her off in French with me nodding in agreement (as though I understood!). She ended up behind me because the woman behind me gave in and didn't have the guts to say anything.

Then I get on the plane and I got bumped to business! :D Needless to say, I was so excited!! Despite trying to look professional and nonchalant, I was overcome with exuberance, clapped my hands and squealed at the poor French guy I ended up sitting next to. Obviously, in my excitement, my English chatter was too quick for him, so he pretty much missed everything I said and just kind of grinned at me. Poor thing. He probably thought he had a lunatic sitting next to him!

Now, you would think that being in business class (i.e. being able to lower the seat until it's pretty much like a bed), having full-on rugs and a wonderful entertainment system would help me to catch a fair bit of shut-eye, but no. 30 mins is about all I got - while the good-looking French guy next to me managed to doze off. Over brekkie we managed to have a bit of a chat - it turns out Laurent was going to HK on business and used to live there when he was in his early 20s. He was *horrified* when he found out I wasn't planning on doing anything with my 12-hour in Hong Kong. Frankly, I just couldn't be bothered doing the research on how to get to/from the airport and getting 'round, so I had decided not to venture. But...who can refuse when you're offered a guided tour? :D

Laurent and I then spent the day together in Hong Kong (with my mother in the back of my mind telling me off for being in a foreign country, with a *French*man and touring 'round all the countryside letting him pay for everything). Yep, he paid for everything - except my train ticket to/from the airport. And it was fun!! :D Very muggy, though - I couldn't believe how suffocating it was!!

We went to the jade markets (I bought a handmade chinese checkers set; Laurent bought some necklaces for his girls), we went to Kow Loon Island, we went on a ferry (it drizzled) and... we cruised 'round in a couple of taxis and played chinese checkers and drank coffee in the lobby of a hotel where Laurent had stayed before. :D Fun, fun, fun - and so random!! Actually, maybe it was so much fun *because* it was so random?

So that was my 12-hour boring layover in Hong Kong airport that turned out to be 12 hours of stimulating and fun conversation with a handsome young married Frenchman who showed me the highlights of beautiful, humid Hong Kong and Kow Loon Islands. Thanks, Laurent! For someone who had never had any desire to visit any part of Asia, I'm pretty keen now to tour the Asian countryside!

No comments: